Abingdon Town in England
Abingdon-on-Thames AB-ing-dən-, known just as Abingdon between 1974 and 2012, is an historic market town and civil parish in the ceremonial county of Oxfordshire, England. Historically the county town of Berkshire, since 1974 Abingdon has been administered by the Vale of White Horse district within Oxfordshire. The area was occupied from the early to middle Iron Age and the remains of a late Iron Age and Roman defensive enclosure lies below the town centre. Abingdon Abbey was founded around AD 676, giving its name to the emerging town. In the 13th and 14th centuries, Abingdon was an agricultural centre with an extensive trade in wool, alongside weaving and the manufacture of clothing. Charters for the holding of markets and fairs were granted by various monarchs, from Edward I to George II. The town survived the dissolution of the abbey in 1538, and by the 18th and 19th centuries, with the building of Abingdon Lock in 1790, and Wilts & Berks Canal in 1810, was a key link between major industrial centres such as Bristol, London, Birmingham and the Black Country. In 1856 the Abingdon Railway opened, linking the town with the Great Western Railway at Radley .
River trail nearly 200 mi. long
Running the river’s length, nearly-200-mi. trail passing through historic villages & countryside.
1682 edifice with local history exhibits
Former 17th-century courtroom showcasing educational exhibits on the region’s history.
Abingdon Abbey was a Benedictine monastery also known as St Mary’s Abbey located in Abingdon, historically in the county of Berkshire but now in Oxfordshire, England.
Millets Farm Centre
Oxford University’s botanic garden
Trees including ancient redwoods and Japanese maples, rhododendrons and bluebell woods in 130 acres.
Scale models of old railways & villages
3 galleries of miniature scenes recreating villages, trains and landscapes of the 1920s and 1930s.
St Helen’s Church, Abingdon
St Helen’s Church is a Church of England parish church in Abingdon on the bank of the River Thames in Oxfordshire, England. The church is thought to occupy the site of the Anglo-Saxon Helenstowe Nunnery.
Millets Falconry Centre
Abingdon Lock is a lock on the River Thames in England, less than 1 mile east and upstream of Abingdon, Oxfordshire, on the opposite bank of the river. It was originally built in 1790 by the
Abingdon County Hall Museum
Local history in 17th-century building
A restored 17th-century Baroque building overlooking the market, with exhibitions on local history.
Albert Park, Abingdon
History and park
Abingdon Park is a park on Park Road in the northwest of the town of Abingdon, Oxfordshire, England.
The Abbey Church of St Peter and St Paul, more usually called Dorchester Abbey, is a Church of England parish church in Dorchester on Thames, Oxfordshire, about 8 miles southeast of Oxford. It
Milton Manor is a manor house in the parish of Brading on the Isle of Wight, in England.
Bagley Wood is a wood in the parish of Kennington between Oxford and Abingdon in Oxfordshire, England. It is traversed from north to south by the A34 road, which was rerouted through the wood in 1972.
Day’s Lock is a lock on the River Thames near Dorchester-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, England on the Dorchester side of the river. The pound lock was built in 1789 by the Thames Navigation Commissioner